Read These Tips. It Could Save Your Life
Black Ice, I can’t tell you how many time I have dealt with claims due to black
ice on our roads. Some of you may already know that I am the Dedicated Claims
Advisor for Sheridan Insurances. We have offices in Kilkenny, Wexford and
New Ross which means I deal with car and van insurance claims from all
over Ireland. I work on your behalf to ensure you get the best possible
outcome when it comes to your claim.
I advise you to read some of my tips below about black ice. The information
could come in handy over the winter months and it could potentially save
If any of our customers need to register a claim with me over the Christmas
season you can register it here or call me on 053 9180912.
Black ice is extremely difficult to spot and can be tricky to manoeuvre your car or
van when you hit it. It forms in wet, sheltered areas and usually stretches
several metres in any one patch. We recommend spending a couple of minutes
taking in these tips on how to manage your car or van before black ice is present
- Try to brake as little as possible as this causes the vehicle to skid. Take your
foot off the accelerator to slow down – if you really have to brake, pump
the brakes gently.
- Avoid any harsh movements of the wheel. If you are veering off road try
gently to correct it.
- Drive in low gear as this gives you more control.
- Tyres need to be in good condition as the grip on your tyres greatly
affects your control.
- Dipped headlights should be turned on.
- Keep a good distance between you and the vehicle in front.
Most important of all is to keep calm and do your best to stay safe. If you are
involved in an accident and are a customer of Sheridan Insurances, please
give me a call on 053 9180912 or register a claim here.