Colette – ‘How To Save Money On Your Home’
Prevention is better than a cure and that is why this it’s perfect time to survey
your property for potential problems and get them fixed! Here are some tips on
checking your property to prevent damage in the future. I recommend starting
at the bottom and working your way up.
Autumn Home Survey Tips
- Check for trees that have lost their strength. If a tree looks like it will not
withstand another storm, get it removed.
- Check fences for damage and see if they can be strengthened.
- If you have a trampoline, swings, slide etc. see can be secured to
prevent them flying away in high winds or organise some storage for them
during the winter months.
- Gutters will need to be cleared of leaves and debris.
- Chimneys need to be kept clean to avoid a house fire so it may be time to
consider getting the chimney sweep in to your home.
- The attic is a place that is very often forgotten about. Make sure to check the attic for holes that birds may come in through, water ingress and general damage particularly in the ceiling area.
- Finally, check the roof for damaged slates and holes that may allow rain water to seep through.
Gradual deterioration/wear & tear is not be covered under your household
policy so by identifying problems now and fixing them, it could save you a lot
of time,effort and money in the future. Protect your investment by identifying
and fixing potential problems before they become a major issue.